Pete Roberts spent over a decade working full-time in AFL analysis and tech, ensuring players and coaches got the insights they needed to execute on game day. He joins us at the halfway point of a bizarre 2020 footy season to give us his thoughts, and provide some insights into how AFL clubs measure success internally – can we learn from that as fans, viewers and punters?
The Betting 360 Podcast is brought to you by TopSport.
AFL analysis in 2020
Our discussion with Pete covers:
- Pete’s background in football – working for Hawthorn FC, Melbourne FC and third-party providers
- Pete’s website Behind The Footy – how it shows the game from an analyst’s point of view
- How do clubs measure success internally versus the external view of the fans… how ‘hardcore’ is it internally?
- Which information – and how much of it – is provided to players
- Looking the 2020 season…. How different is it to a more ‘normal’ season?
- The complexity of the 2020 season due to the bizarre fixtures
- The three biggest factors to look for when betting on the AFL in 2020, and how you can find an edge
- Why the inside-50 count isn’t as reliable as it used to be when finding winners
- Wet weather footy, and the myth regarding how much it takes out of players
- Strange travel schedules in 2020 – is it affecting teams?
- Matches at neutral venues in 2020
- The clubs currently at the top of the AFL ladder… have any been surprising? Are there any question marks on them?
- How shorter quarters are impacting footy, and why St Kilda’s style suits it
- Is the current AFL Ladder flattering any clubs?
- Do any teams look like making a run in the second half of the season?
- Why any team in the finals in 2020 could win the premiership
- How bad are things for Adelaide at the moment?
- What is wrong at Melbourne? Can it be fixed?
- The importance of teams scoring when they do get the ball forward
- Has the rise of Gold Coast in 2020 been surprising?
- The importance of taking into account team changes when looking at days break
- The ‘expected score’ measure – how it works and why it’s important
- The achilles heal for GWS at the moment
You can find us below or anywhere you get your podcasts:
Don't spend this season making donations to the bookies. AFL Tips is back for 2020: get on board now and start betting with an edge.