Champion Bets racing analyst Gareth Phillips joins us to discuss the changing nature of betting markets and where we find ourselves in 2020. After some recent significant changes to fixed-odds racing markets – including the departure of the biggest player – how has Gareth’s betting changed?
The Betting 360 Podcast is brought to you by TopSport.
Changing betting markets: the impact on a professional punter
Our discussion with Gareth covers:
- Running a betting service for members – how different is it?
- The uncertainty of wet tracks and how Gareth deals with it
- Shifting focus quickly throughout winter – going to the tracks offering the best going
- The changing market – why fixed odds at 9am doesn’t matter as much anymore
- Why Gareth is betting Best of the Best, Best Tote and Betfair SP at the moment
- How Gareth handles betting across two states – New South Wales and Queensland
- Having the ability to eliminate non-betting races quickly
- The extreme percentages at the top of the market resulting in less value on favourites
- The departure of Dr Nick from Australian fixed odds markets… the huge impact on the market
- The difficulty of making money in early morning markets these days: high market percentages vs knowing what will go off
- How Dr Nick would ‘fix’ over-bet horses in the market, which is no longer happening
- The impact of wet tracks on betting early or betting late
- Is the new environment easier or more difficult for form analysts and punters?
- Taking on favourites in the new environment versus back outsiders
- Why Gareth is pumped to be betting on drier tracks in the coming months
- Why the market is always changing
You can find us below or anywhere you get your podcasts: