The Other Side: TopSport Podcast Episode 10… On the latest podcast, we chat with Tristan from TopSport about the upcoming Melbourne Cup Carnival: how it’s shaping for the bookies, how they’ll handle it and what the punters are already coming for. We also talk about the ‘mega weekend’ just gone, which featured the Manikato Stakes, Cox Plate, AFL Grand Final and NRL Grand Final.
We’re all punters. And we speak to a lot of other punters. On The Other Side podcast series we jump the fence and speak with Tristan Merlehan, Director at TopSport, to get an insight into modern-day bookmaking.
Tristan takes us through how a modern corporate bookmaker operates, the issues they face, and how changes in racing and sport impact the business.
Have you got a question for Tristan about anything we’ve discussed, or anything else related to bookmaking? Just get in touch with us and we’ll ask him on the next episode.
The Other Side: TopSport Podcast Episode 10
- Juggling the mega weekend: Manikato Stakes, Cox Plate, AFL Grand Final and NRL Grand Final
- The impact of betting on each event
- The differing track conditions at Moonee Valley on Friday night and Saturday.
- Friday night (Manikato Stakes night)… perhaps a little quieter than previous years?
- The lead-up to the Melbourne Cup Carnival – are the punters coming like previous years?
- 110% markets for an hour on Friday – are punters waiting for it?
- Group 1 limits for the Carnival: Bet to win $10k for all punters and $50k in the last 25 minutes of betting (official VOP time)
- A wide-open Melbourne Cup this year and the impact of limits
- Bet backs: do bookies still do it? Do they use Betfair or the totes?
- Big Melbourne Cup bets: laying the roughies!
- Tristan’s own fancy in the Melbourne Cup
- The Golden Eagle on Derby Day… does it attract the betting interest of other big races?
- The new TopSport website
You can find us below or anywhere you get your podcasts: