The Other Side: TopSport Podcast Episode 7… On the latest episode of The Other Side, we talk racing with Tristan from TopSport.com.au as we edge closer to the Spring Carnival. We also dig deeper into a major frustration for many punters: the dreaded deduction!
We’re all punters. And we speak to a lot of other punters. On The Other Side podcast series we jump the fence and speak with Tristan Merlehan, Director at TopSport, to get an insight into modern-day bookmaking.
Tristan takes us through how a modern corporate bookmaker operates, the issues they face, and how changes in racing and sport impact the business.
Have you got a question for Tristan about anything we’ve discussed, or anything else related to bookmaking? Just get in touch with us and we’ll ask him on the next episode.
The Other Side: TopSport Podcast Episode 7
- Group 1 racing returns! The Winx Stakes was run in Sydney on Saturday, while the Memsie Stakes is this week at Caulfield.
- An extremely heavy track at Moonee Valley on Saturday (before the meeting was abandoned)… what’s the impact on betting?
- How did the loss of half the metro meeting in Melbourne affect the rest of the country on Saturday?
- Are futures markets moving now that some of the big-name horses have returned?
- Is there less betting on big-race futures due to uncertainty over Spring fields?
- The Horn-Tszyu fight… where the money is going
- Deductions… why, and how do they work?
- Calculating scratchings – attempting to be fair
- The impact of emergencies on scratchings
- The variables when it comes scratchings: differing prices and different deduction rates
- The huge range of deduction rates used by different bookmakers
- Why we should move to standardised deductions across all bookmakers
- Conversations with racing bodies about moving to standardised deductions – how could it work?
- When scratchings bring a race field below eight runners… should you be paid three place dividends?
You can find us below or anywhere you get your podcasts: