Form Analyst Gareth Phillips makes it clear: “You can’t win if you’re doing the same thing as everybody else”
Professional horse racing punter Gareth Phillips chats with Betfair about the most important things required to be a successful form analyst, how the betting market has changed and why he often takes on top trainers and jockeys.
- The 4 most important things required to be successful
- Why profitable edges change and disappear – especially on metro racing
- How the betting market has evolved and he has changed with it
- Why there are so few form analysts nowadays
- The types of races he likes to get involved in
- Looking for value in races where strong triallers are over bet
- Situations where Gareth likes to take on high-profile jockeys and trainers
- How the burden of increased market percentages have concentrated on favourites
- Why there are different ways to treat horses that are drifting in the market
- The advanced database he uses to do the form
- The biggest challenge of professional punting
Form Analyst: Gareth Phillips
A former senior manager of Gareth’s, from his time in the bookmaking industry had this to see:
“During my 13 years with the combined businesses I hired and fired about 20 analysts. Not only did Gareth outperform all of them in terms of results, but he also demonstrated a work ethic that was second to none.”
… and another:
“Gareth was responsible for trading and providing prices for horse racing including some of the most iconic races in Australia. The position required excellent analytical skills as well as the ability to liaise between different departments. Success was dependent on strong attention to detail and efficient work processes. These are all characteristics which defined Gareth.”
“I’ve known Gareth for years and have worked alongside him at times. He’s a ripper bloke and a ripper judge. His years of bookmaker experience means he knows the game from the inside out. Framing markets is second nature to him, having done it for so long. You’d be hard pressed to find anyone with more passion and knowledge of the great game. He finds value, and he finds winners.”
He's one of Australia's most experienced form analysts, so we're very excited to have Gareth Phillips in the Champion Bets stable.
Gareth bets 5 - 6 days per week across New South Wales and Queensland. To get involved with a long-term winner and expert, just click here.